Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Few Good Men, 15 June 2009

So, I don’t consider myself a feminist by any means. However, today, standing in my mother-in-law’s kitchen I was outraged. We were watching parts of “A Few Good Men” to correctly identify the color of Tom’s apartment, which is to be duplicated in her kitchen. Then the scene came…Jack yelled, “What I do want is for you to stand there in you faggity white uniform and extend me so freakin’ courtesy” or so the original script reads. However, in its stead they substituted “girly” to make it TV appropriate. Is it less offensive to insult over 50% of the population? Or because “girly” has been used as an insult for generations it’s now okay? It’s clear why “faggity” would be offensive, I am not argueing that. I just cannot comprehend how changing the gender and target group makes it TV appropriate. Why not stupid or ugly? When did I consent to take the fall whenever someone else’s feelings might be hurt? That’s right, I didn’t. You fail TV censoror, complete fail.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you entirely! That has always p***ed me off. Tort, we simply need to face the hard core facts- we are inferior to men and the sooner we recognize that, the happier our lives may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree but when you consider that stupid or ugly would involve over 50% of the poulation, what are they to do!

    Halli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Halli,
    I love you. You are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When they dub over offensive words to make it TV, they try to use a substitute word that has similar meaning.

    In this case, the use of the word "faggity" in this context, "girly" is as close to the meaning Colonel Jessup (Jack Nicholson) meant.

    ReplyDelete